Request for clarity on compatibility of licenses

Request for clarity on compatibility of licenses

G, Rahul IN BLR STS
Hello Users,

We are planning to use the component, ‘Metro Webservices Runtime V2.3’ in our organization. We would like you to clarify a couple of things that we are confused about :-

  1. Compatibility issue
We came across the following files which are licensed under two mutually incompatible licenses:-
webservices-rt-2.3-sources.jar\com\sun\xml\stream\buffer\sax\Features.java
webservices-rt-2.3-sources.jar\com\sun\xml\stream\buffer\sax\Properties.java
From what we understood, and could see from the files, the files are licensed under the Apache license V2.0 and a Dual license – CDDL or GPL V2.0. We find it strange that a single file is licensed under Apache license as well as the GPL V2.0, which are incompatible to each other.

We would like you to please help us in understanding the licensing with a bit more clarity.

  1. Regarding Fast Infoset Ver 0.1 Software mention
We have found a mention of the Fast Infoset Ver. 0.1 software in the same set of files mentioned above. The mention is just above the Sun Microsystems copyrighted Apache License V2.0 inclusion. Does this mean that the Apache license V2.0 applies to the files under the fastinfoset directory, ‘\webservices-rt-2.3-sources.jar\com\sun\xml\fastinfoset’?

With best regards,
Rahul Mohan G

Siemens Technology and Services Private Limited
CT DC AA IC SG-EA CF D5-REUSE
No.105, Prestige Alecto, Keonics Electronic City, Hosur Road
560100 Bengaluru, Indien
Tel: +91 80 33131904
Mobile: +91 9886109110

Registered Office: 130, Pandurang Budhkar Marg, Worli, Mumbai 400 018. Telephone +91 22 39677000. Fax +91 22 39677075. Other Offices: Bangalore, Chennai, Gurgaon/New Delhi, Kolkata, Pune.